Historically, Paid Time Off Policies have been used primarily to manage time off for things like vacation, medical, and family events for employees. However, time off theory runs much deeper than simply being paid for short absences. It is an element that should match the entire culture of your business.
At Gro HR, we assist and lead businesses every day in their pursuit of a healthy and thriving culture. This is done through intentional initiatives and consistency. When managers ask how to create or maintain an effective internal culture, we look at several things that should run consistent when communicating that culture. Paid Time is one of them, with so many traditional and more becoming-traditional options for your team!
So what does this mean for your business? It means that any policy you have should be consistent with the culture you are desiring as well as to service the clients that you do. It is a valid part of your company branding and benefits package.
Here are some tips to consider as you evaluate your Paid Time Off Policy:
- There are more options than simply accruals, do some research on Discretionary/ Unlimited Time Off options
- Cost of a policy per employee
- How attractable is it? Consider what would be the most beneficial and attractive for your industry and employee type
- State Laws, some states have laws surrounding accrual types and paying out time off at separations
- Consistency – Is it consistent throughout departments and business sectors
- Structure- Can your business structure handle and maintain business when individuals are out?
Out of all of the investments you make into your business, few are as important as your employees. That’s why taking the time to correctly communicate and reward your employees is crucial for your (and their!) success. Here at Gro HR, we know what it takes to create a Paid Time Off program. Our HR team is passionate about helping organizations like yours build the best team to aide in your success. Schedule a call with our team to see how Gro HR can offer you expert assistance with your needs!